Are you filing your GSTR for the first time? You may have certain questions while doing so!
Some Queries You May Have While Filing GSTR!
Here are some queries you may need answers to…
1. Can GST returns be filed within the allotted time period or can be filed at another date?
The GST returns can only be filed within the allotted window. If a person fails to do so, then he can file the return when the window for that return reopens.
2. Is it mandatory to file GST returns even when there are no sales?
Yes, it is mandatory to file GST returns even if the value is nil.
3. If the return for the previous/past period was not filed, can it be filed for a subsequent period?
In case a return is not filed for a subsequent period, then the same return cannot be filed for a subsequent period as well.
4. Can the offline utility be downloaded once and used multiple times as required?
Yes, the offline utility downloaded once can be used to file GST returns multiple times.
5. What about the interest, is it applicable till the date of debt to the ledger or till the date of deposit of cash?
Interest will be applicable till the date of Debit to the respective ledger.
6. What is the difference between xlsx and CSV files?
These are some offline tools to file the GST returns. And, there is no difference between the two.
7. Can cash deposited under Tax/interest/fee/penalty/others in the cash ledger be used only for payment of such Tax/interest/fee/penalty/others liabilities or it can also be utilized otherwise?
Any amount once deposited as tax can be utilized for payment of taxes only but the same cannot be utilized for things like payment of fee etc. Also, if an amount is deposited as CGST, then the same can be utilized only for payment of CGST and not for the payment of SGST or IGST.
8. Is it mandatory to submit details of the HSN summary?
Yes, the submission of the details of HSN summary is mandatory as it is a part of GSTR-1 & 2.
9. What can be the course of action when an assessee is not able to file GSTR 3B and the amount is incorrectly deposited as compensation instead of the tax?
In this case, one can send an email to GSTN to make the changes in the back end. The government has also recently enabled the revise option, wherein GSTRB submitted but not filed can be revised and such errors can be corrected before filing. Also, there is a form PMT 04 which can be submitted to make the correction. Form PMT 04 is not made available online yet, therefore one can submit the same manually.
10. Is late fee charged for returns?
Yes, a late fee is applicable in case of all the returns. Currently, the late filing fee has been changed to 50 INR per return and 20 INR in case of any nil return.
11. Can the returns be filed even if registration is granted in August 2017 or later?
Returns can be filed from the period the registration has been done.
12. What precautions need to be taken while applying/using a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)?
DSC should be Class II or Class III, PAN-based DSC. It must not be expired. The DSC must be registered on the GST portal. EM signer version 2.6 must be installed on the computer and the DSC dongle should be connected to the computer.
13. If the late fee for July or August is waived and an assessee has already paid the late fee, will it be credited as a late fee only?
The late fee will be credited back so that the assessee can utilize this amount for payment of their tax liability.
14. Will the late filing fee be calculated for the number of days since when the filing window is disabled by the GSTN?
Yes, the late filing fee will be applicable and it will be calculated up to the date of actual filing of the GST returns.
If you are looking for small business loans, get in touch with Gromor Finance today!